Search Google Appliance

Counselor Education Admission

Application to the M.S. in Counselor Education program is a two step process. Applicants must complete one application to the Department of Counselor Education (online - Step 1 below) and a Portland State University application (Step 2 below). 

Applicants are only admitted for fall term once per year, except for School Counseling (Licensure only), which has a summer start. After an initial screening, qualified applicants will be invited to an interview with program faculty. Incomplete applications will not be considered for an interview. It is critical that you fully complete and submit your application by the application deadline in order to be considered.

Applications must be submitted by February 1 each year to the Graduate School of Education.

Applications for fall 2015 are now closed. 

Please note: standardized test (GRE or MAT) scores are NOT required for admission starting.

School counseling applicants are still required to submit CBEST, PRAXIS-I, NES, or West B scores.

Step 1: Apply to the Department of Counselor Education

Use this link to access our online program application, create a free account, then complete your application following the steps below. Be sure to write down the user name and password that you receive so that you can return to site and track the progress of your application as it is reviewed.

If you are applying to the School Counseling Licensure Only program or the Marital, Couples and Family Certificate, please see the application procedures for those programs.

Once you have an account and have logged in:

  1. Click the Create a New Application button
  2. Select the appropriate program option from the list (see options below):
    • Clinical Mental Health Counseling Master's Program
    • Counselor Education Graduate Certificate in Marital, Couple and Family Counseling
    • Marital, Couple and Family Counseling Master's Program
    • Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling Master's Program
    • School Counseling Licensure Only Program
    • School Counseling Master's Program
  3. Fully complete all pages of the application.  If necessary, you can save and return to your application before it is completed, however you must click the Submit Application Now button when it is complete AND before the application deadline if you want to be considered.

Please note:

  1. You will find instructions for submitting your references, test scores, and transcripts to the program in the application.
  2. You are REQUIRED to submit two (2) official transcripts by mail: one to the Counselor Education Department, and one to the University (when applying to the University as outlined in Step 2). The Counselor Education Department can only accept paper (not electronic) transcripts.
  3. Professional references are REQUIRED to submit a recommendation form (not just a letter of recommendation), by mail to the Counselor Education Department by the February 1 deadline. Recommendation forms can be found on the web or in the online program application.

After submitting your application you will be able to track the review process through the application web site.

  • If you need assistance accessing the online application, please email
  • If you have questions about the application process, please email

Application deadline: February 1 each year

School Counseling applicants only:

In addition to the application for admission to the Department of Counselor Education, School Counseling applicants must also submit the following:

  • Document work (paid or unpaid) with youth in an educational setting (verify by including official documentation of work on site letterhead)
  • Pass one of these tests and submit their passing scores with their application:
  • Track I (applicants with current teaching license) students must document two years experience as a licensed school teacher (verify by including official documentation of work on site letterhead)

    Step 2: Apply to Portland State University

    In addition to applying to the Department of Counselor Education, you must apply to Portland State University. Applications can be downloaded in PDF format and submitted by postal mail or you may apply online and submit the application electronically. 

    Registration basics

    There is a lot to know about registering for classes at PSU and it pays to be prepared. Those wanting to know if they can just sign up for a class should visit the "Who May Register" page to find out if they're eligible and if not, how to become eligible. The "Who May Register" link also leads users to information about specific populations of students (from international students to senior citizens) and how registration impacts them.

    Prior to the start of each term, students begin registering for classes according to a set of rules pertaining to class standing. Find out more by following the "When to Register" link.

    Once the who and when are established, students want to know how. The "How to Register" link takes users to step-by-step instructions for registering online and lays out basic information about common registration processes like auditing, clearing registration holds, and choosing grading options, just to name a few.

    Students browse course offerings any time of day or night by selecting the "Class Schedule" link. Of course, class listings are available within the registration system, but this site doesn't require students to log in and it's available 24/7.

    Finally, registering for classes is done via the "Online Registration" link.

    Those interested in registering for Continuing Education classes are encouraged to visit the CEED website for more information.