Search Google Appliance

Advising Resources

Undergraduate Academic advising

 Barbara Sabath, the CS academic adviser,, provides advising to undergraduates as well as community college students preparing to transfer and post-baccalaureate students intending to earn a second bachelor’s degree. She can answer your questions about preparation for and the requirements of the CS major. Direct your questions about University resources, academic challenges, internships, scholarships, graduation, petitions, and most other University forms to her. She also provides advising on the 3+2 program in Bioinformatics in which PSU partners with OHSU.

Barbara's drop-in hours (for 10-15 mins. per student) are:

Monday: 9:00-11:00, 1:30-3:30
Tuesday: 1:30-2:30
Wednesday: 10:00-11:00
Thursday: 1:30-2:30
Friday: No drop-in hours

Schedule a 30 minute appointment.

Appointments are scheduled at the following times:
Tuesday: 10:00, 10:30, 11:30, 2:30, 3:00
Wednesday: 11:00, 2:30, 3:00
Thursday: 11:00, 2:30, 3:00

Her office is located in the Computer Science Department in the Fourth Ave Building (FAB) on the plaza level in suite 120.  The address of the FAB is 1900 SW 4th Avenue and is D-10 on the campus map.  Once in the building, make a left at the security desk and walk down the hall until you reach a computer lab.  The CS Department will be to your right.


PSU Petitions

Petitions needing a signature require a 30 minute appointment. Please follow the instructions on the petition and bring the petition form itself to your appointment. Appointments will be canceled and re-scheduled if the student is not prepared.

Satisfactory Academic Progress petition: Complete steps 1-6 listed on petition, Step 4 must be completed and a hard copy of plan brought to appointment since this is what the adviser signs. 

Maximum Enrollment Limit petition: Complete steps 1-5.  The plan (step 5) is to be brought with you to the appointment along with petition.  There is no time to make the plan at the appointment itself.

Please contact me at  if you are unsure what to bring to the appointment or how to access the required information.

Mandatory Advising

 All new undergraduate students are required to receive academic advising from their intended major department during their first year.  A registration hold will be placed on accounts preventing students from registering for their third term's classes until this requirement is met.  For example, Fall admits should seek advising in their first two terms and will be prevented from registering for their second Fall term until this is done.


 A key resource for students is the Degree Audit Report or DARS. A DARS report lists all the graduation requirements for a particular major which includes transfer coursework as well as PSU courses. For online tutorials and instructions on how to read and run your DARS report, view this link:

Faculty Advising

 Faculty advisers offer their expertise, knowledge, and experience in the field of computer science. Share with them your questions about CS careers, elective choices, grad school selection and preparation, budding research interests and any problems you encounter in CS at PSU. Juniors, seniors, and post-baccalaureate students who are accepted for admission to the CS program will be assigned a faculty adviser the fourth week of their first term. You should make a point of seeing your adviser your first term as an admitted CS major for an initial consultation. Students who will be inactive (i.e., not taking any classes at PSU) for a term must file a leave request with the CS Office in order to retain their adviser. Students may file a maximum of one leave request per year.

Your CS adviser is particularly useful in helping you interpret the CS requirements for your degree. However, if you are depending on this interpretation, make sure that you get it in writing (usually in the form of a "Substitution/Waiver of CS Requirements") and that it is added to your file in the Computer Science Office. It is also important to know when not to consult your faculty adviser because someone else is more appropriate.

  • For information about a specific course, see the course's instructor.
  • For information about University degree requirements, rules, exceptions to rules, forms, etc., consult the PSU Bulletin. If the Bulletin is not clear, you may check with the Undergraduate Advising and Support Center (UASC) at 503-725-4005.

The PSU Bulletin is the absolute authority for all regulations.

Students are responsible for knowing the rules, regulations, and requirements in the PSU Bulletin. Ultimately, the responsibility of ensuring that you have completed all requirements for your degree is yours. Your CS adviser and the advisers at the Undergraduate Advising and Support Center will help you interpret the requirements that are in the PSU Bulletin. Their role is not to "approve" or otherwise construct a program of study for you. An approved program of study can be found in the PSU Bulletin under the section on CS.

ACS Advising

 Advising and Career Services (ACS) provides academic advising to the following students: newly admitted and newly enrolled students (after they have attended an Orientation session); co-admitted students and prospective transfer students; students on academic warning, probation or dismissal; and students who have not yet chosen a major.

What to expect from an ACS adviser:

  • An explanation of PSU's general education and degree requirements
  • Information about PSU policies and procedures
  • Help with exploring majors and advice about appropriate introductory courses
  • Referrals to other campus resources and services
  • Suggestions to increase your academic success

Visit for more information, hours and appointments with an ACS adviser