Undergraduate Advising in Communication
All Communication majors discuss their programs with an advisor. Drop by the department office (UCB 440) to sign up for a 15-20 minute advising session. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you see an advisor, you must follow these important steps:
- Create a folder with important paperwork for advising and bring it to all your advising sessions. This includes copies of your transcripts, grades, and your DARS report (see below).
- Read carefully the PSU Bulletin about the Communication Program before you see an advisor. The Bulletin lists the requirement for the major that are applied the year of your enrollment. So, if you enrolled at PSU in 2010, then you need to use the requirements from the PSU 2012-2013 Bulletin.
- Create a draft of the courses you want to take, using the Bulletin as your guide to requirements. A tentative course schedule can be found at the Course Planning Guide website.
- Instructions printing your DARS report are available here.
- Review the PSU advising website before you see an advisor.
Freshmen, sophomores and transfer students first meet with a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences advisor.
International students first meet with an advisor who specializes in international admissions.
Juniors and seniors meet with a faculty advisor in the Department of Communication after they meet with an advisor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences department.
- When you have done your homework, bring your advising folder (see above) that contains your transcripts, grades, and your DARS report to the Department of Communication (University Center Building, 440).
- Sign up for an available appointment on the advising sheet located just outside the office door.
- Advisors are available during the regular term. If you need assistance between sessions contact an advisor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Keep notes of your advising session and add them to your folders.
Reminder about advising appointments:
- Appointments are for Communication Department inquiries only (we can’t answer questions about other major or minor requirements)
- You must have your DARS report printed and with you for your appointment
- Appointments are for junior and seniors. If you are a freshman or sophomore, see an advisor in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
- If you've already signed up for an appointment and must cancel, let us know. Delete your name from the sign-up board in UCB 440 or email email@example.com