Undergraduate Advising in Communication
All Communication majors should discuss their academic progress with an advisor. Remember: You must bring your DARS report with you to each advising session. Instructions on printing your DARS report are available here.
HOW TO SCHEDULE AN ADVISING APPOINTMENT:
1st and 2nd year students: Please call 503-725-3822 to make an appointment with Martha Dyson. Martha's office is located at SMSU M305
3rd year+ students: Please call the Department of Communication at 503-725-5384 to sign up for a 20 minute advising session.
International Students: Meet with an advisor who specializes in international admissions.
Before you see an advisor, you must follow these important steps:
- Create a folder with important paperwork for advising and bring it to all your advising sessions. This includes copies of your transcripts, your printed DARS report, and anything else you think would be helpful for your advisor to view so that he/she can better assess your progress in the program.
- Read carefully the PSU Bulletin about the Communication Program before you see an advisor. The Bulletin lists the requirements for the major that are applied the year of your enrollment. Please view the Bulletin from the year your started the program.
- Create a draft of the courses you want to take, using the Bulletin as your guide to requirements. A tentative course schedule can be found at the Course Planning Guide website
- Review the PSU advising website before you see an advisor.
Cancelling advising appointments:
- If you've already signed up for an appointment and must cancel, let us know by calling the front desk 503-725-5384