Communication Department's Honors Track Program
Communication Honors Track Program
Students who want a rigorous challenge in their studies may apply for the Communication Department’s Honors Track Program. The Honors Track is designed to allow students first-hand experience conducting research and writing under the mentorship of faculty members.
"It isn't always easy to find ways to stand out at a large university and it’s incredibly important to take every opportunity to connect with professors and find people who will be mentors. Seeing firsthand how theory, research and data can be applied to important social issues presented a unique opportunity to connect what I learned as a communication major to issues I care about in the real world." -Jenny Woodman BS, Communication Honors Graduate
Honors Track Details
- Application Students apply to the Honors Track in the junior year (no later than Spring term). Applications will be reviewed by a faculty committee.
- Eligibility Junior-standing students must have an overall minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.50. Students must have at least of 90 credits when applying to the program and they must be majors in communication with at least 24 hours completed in communication coursework.
- Coursework Students admitted to the Honors Track will take 3 communication courses in the 400 and/or 400-500 series (with the permission of each instructor) for a total of 12 credits.
- Grades Students must receive a minimum grade of B in all Honor Track courses. Students will be required to conduct work in each class at the honors level as determined by the instructor.
- Faculty mentors Students are required to work under the guidance of the faculty member teaching each honors course. You are responsible for alerting the instructor at the beginning of class that you intend to take the course as an honors student.
- Final paper Students will write a final paper that is suitable for submission to an undergraduate research conference and will deliver an on-campus presentation during the course of their honors study. The topic of the final paper can be from any of the 3 communication honor courses taken.
Applying to the Honors Track
To apply, students in their junior year (no later than Spring Term), must complete and submit the following:
- Department Honors Program Application
- Current university transcripts (photocopy is acceptable)
- A 500-word (maximum) statement about your interests in the field of communication and how the honors program will help you to pursue those interests
- At least 2 letters of support from Department of Communication faculty, including one tenured faculty member
Applications can be submitted by emailing items to email@example.com or applications can be dropped off at the Department of Communication office UCB 440.