Sabbatical applications for the 2017-18 academic year are due to CLAS on February 1, 2017.
- Sabbatical Leave Processing Summary and Request Form (view "Employee Leaves" section)
- OAA Sabbatical Leave Policies
- CLAS Guidelines for Sabbatical Leave Application
- Example Chair's Support Statement (template)
CLAS Sabbatical Policy
Sabbaticals should be awarded where there are documented academic and scholarly plans for research or scholarship that will enhance the careers and scholarly productivity of the faculty members.
· Sabbatical must be supported by the departmental chair or program director. The academic unit should demonstrate that the unit can maintain both curricular and budget stability during the period of the sabbatical and following.
· The Dean’s office will accept applications for sabbaticals of one term, two terms, or three terms.
· Department chairs/directors will normally be ineligible for a sabbatical leave until the conclusion of their terms. Exceptional cases will be considered by the Dean in consultation with the Provost.
· Sabbatical leaves will occur within a single academic year. Deans may use their discretion to approve the rare exception if a compelling case is made based on the nature of the scholarship. The total salary paid for the sabbatical period (across academic years, if approved) will remain the same (60%).
Guidelines for Sabbatical Leave Applications
1. A statement of purpose for your sabbatical leave request:
This summary statement (1-2 typed, doubled-spaced pages) should discuss the proposed SBLV activities and be informative both to other specialists in the applicant's discipline as well as to other literate readers. The statement should include:
A. objectives for the proposed leave and expected significance;
B. relation to longer-term goals of the applicant's professional career;
C. relation to the applicant's research and/or teaching assignments;
D. a general plan of how the leave time will be spent;
E. a description of any formal or informal study, experiments planned, lectures scheduled, teaching assignments contracted at other institutions, etc.;
F. A description of any grants applied for or received to support the leave.
2. A current Curriculum Vitae
3. Your Department Chair's statement of support to the Dean that includes:
A. a curricular plan to cover faculty member's classes during leave
B. chair's signature
Other helpful information for completing the application
Use the following dates for all applications:
· FALL TERM: 9/16/2017 TO 12/15/2017
· WINTER TERM: 12/16/2017 TO 3/15/2018
· SPRING TERM: 3/16/2018 TO 6/15/2018
Article 30, Section 8 of the AAUP Collective Bargaining Agreement states:
Effective September 16, 2017, 9-month academic-ranked faculty members on approved sabbatical leave will be paid as follows while on leave:
a. For a one-term sabbatical: 85% of base salary;
b. For a two-term sabbatical: 80% of base salary; and
c. For a three-term (one academic year) sabbatical: 75% of base salary.
Effective July 1, 2017, 12-month academic-ranked faculty members on approved sabbatical leave will be paid as follows while on leave:
a. For a four-month sabbatical: 85% of base salary;
b. For an eight-month sabbatical: 80% of base salary; and
c. For a twelve-month sabbatical: 75% of base salary.
List dates of previous sabbatical leaves (mm/dd/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy) or check "none," if applicable.
Indicate the number of pages of attachments incorporated into this contract by reference.
REMINDER: At the end of each sabbatical leave, or at the end of each term on a multiyear sabbatical leave, the recipient must submit a detailed SBLV Report to the Department Chair for forwarding to the Dean; the Dean will forward it to the President. This report should address each of the research or scholarly objective described in the initial sabbatical proposal. This report is due no later than the 4th week of the term that the member returns from sabbatical leave.
Please contact Kris Fedor in the CLAS Dean's office at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.