Literacy - Admissions
Before applying to our program you must:
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be a licensed teacher or an active student in an academic program leading to licensure
- Complete admission procedures as outlined below
If you are already admitted to a graduate-level program at Portland State, please complete a GO-19M form, have it signed by your faculty advisor, and submit to:
Portland State University
Curriculum and Instruction/Graduate School of Education
PO Box 751
Portland OR 97207-0751
Or hand-deliver to room 602 Graduate School of Education, attn: Literacy Program.
If this does not apply to you, complete both steps below:
Step 1: Apply to the University
Apply for Portland State University graduate admissions: Graduate Admissions website.
Step 2: Apply to the Graduate School of Education
Use this link to access our online program application, create a free account, then complete your application following the steps below. Be sure to write down the user name and password that you receive so that you can return to the site and track the progress of your application as it is reviewed.
- Click the Create a New Application button
- Select Literacy/Reading Endorsement Application... for the term in which you want to start taking classes
- Fully complete the application based on the options you choose. If necessary, you can save and return to your application before it is completed, however you must click the Submit Application Now button when it is complete AND before the application deadline if you want to be considered.
Please note: The following components are part of your Graduate School of Education application packet:
- Reference letters
- Photocopy of teaching license
- Personal statement
After submitting your application you will be able to track the review process through the application website.
- If you need assistance accessing the online application, please email email@example.com
- If you have questions about the application process or deadlines, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall – August 15
Winter – November 15
Spring – February 15
Summer – May 15