Literacy - Admissions
Applications are now open! We’ve simplified our process - by submitting a single application in our new College Net application system you will be considered for admission by your program as well as at Portland State University. This new web based application system will allow you to input your personal information, upload materials, and track your application status from any online location. Select the name of your program in your CollegeNet application: "Literacy Education / Reading, Licensure Endorsement" for Literacy Endorsement.
See application requirements below for more information.
Before applying to our program you must:
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be a licensed teacher or an active student in an academic program leading to licensure
- Complete admission procedures as outlined below
If you are already admitted to a graduate-level program at Portland State, please complete a GO-21M form have it signed by your faculty advisor, and submit to:
Portland State University
Curriculum and Instruction/Graduate School of Education
PO Box 751
Portland OR 97207-0751
Or hand-deliver to the Fourth Avenue Building, second floor, ATTN: Literacy Program.
Please note: The following components are part of your Graduate School of Education application packet:
- Official transcripts from all institutions previously attended are required as part of the official application. Transcripts should be sent to the Portland State University Graduate School of Education PO Box 751 Portland, OR 97207-0751. Electronic official transcripts should be emailed to email@example.com.
- To complete your application to the Graduate School of Education (GSE), you are required to submit official transcripts from every institution of higher education that you have ever attended. This is true regardless of whether or not you earned a credential from that institution, or if those credits were transferred to another school. Please review the transcript requirements.
- Transcripts are due by the application submission deadline. Applications without official transcripts submitted will be considered incomplete and may be disqualified from the review process or may not be reviewed in time for you to be admitted for your desired term.
- Former PSU students do not need to submit transcripts that are already on file. Please use the PSU Graduate School of Education Transcript Request Form to notify the admissions team to pull your previous records.
- Reference letters
- Photocopy of teaching license
- Personal statement
If you have questions about the application process or deadlines, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Recent graduate simplified application:
If you are a recent graduate of one of our initial licensure programs (within the last 5 years) fill out and submit the “Simplified Application” in CollegeNet which will satisfy all of the items above in the application checklist. Additionally, you may contact Mark Wallace to get an admissions fee waiver ($65) to submit with your application.
This application is year-round for any term. You will indicate which term you want to start taking courses in the application. In general, your application should be submitted by the follow dates for admission to specific terms:
- Fall – August 15
- Winter – November 15
- Spring – February 15
- Summer – May 15