Applications now open for a summer 2015 program start.
The GTEP program requires two applications, one to the Graduate School of Education and one to PSU. Applicants must complete the following steps to be considered for admission to the program.
STEP 1: PSU application
- Apply for graduate admissions to Portland State University by applying through the PSU Admissions Office website
- Indicate “Education, MED” on checklist item #5
- Submit by the February 2 deadline.
STEP 2: GSE application
Please access our online application through the link above to create a free admissions account. Once you have an account and have logged in:
- Click the "Create a New Application" button
- Select the option for GTEP Elementary Program or GTEP Secondary Program
- Fully complete all pages of the online application. You can save and return to your application before it is completed
- To submit your file for review click the "Submit Application Now" button.
After submitting the application you will be able to track the review process through this site, so be sure to write down your username and password.
STEP 3: Submit application materials
- GTEP application submitted online
- PSU Graduate application submitted online
- Transcript showing bachelor’s degree or higher as well as transcripts of all academic coursework and degrees to date. PSU transcripts can be unofficial; all others must be official
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- Evidence of successful completion of prerequisite courses. Prerequisite courses must be taken for a grade and the final grade must be B- or better. For applicants applying to GTEP for Early Childhood and Elementary authorization levels, two of the four prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of winter term 2014. For applicants applying to GTEP for Middle School and High School Authorization levels, PSY 311 must be completed and a departmental recommendation submitted
- Middle School and High School applicants are required to meet with a content adviser (add link) for a transcript review and Departmental Recommendation Form
- Basic skills test (see GTEP Prerequisites and test page) applicants with a Master’s degree or higher are exempt from taking a basic skills test
- Content area test specific to level (see prerequisite and test page)
Part of the GTEP admissions process involves a conversation and file review with faculty. Once your application has been reviewed, we will set up a meeting with a GTEP faculty. These meetings are typically held late February and will generally require 30 minutes of your time.
Application checklists and timeline
Questions about the application process?
Contact Lynda Pullen at email@example.com.