Search Google Appliance

Early Childhood Education FAQs

1. What does master's specialization mean? Your master's degree will be in Curriculum and Instruction with a specialization area of early childhood education. See Program of Study to determine your core courses of study and electives. Most are more specifically designed for the early childhood education professional in this specialization area.

2. Is this a licensure program? Can I teach in the public school system when I graduate your program? The program does not culminate in a teaching license and will not enable you to teach in an Oregon public school. However, you may use the 15 credit electives to receive an endorsement if you currently hold a teaching license. Those seeking a teaching license should apply to the Graduate Teacher Education Program (GTEP) that offers a teaching license and a Master's of Education (MEd) degree.

3. Do I need to take courses in any special sequence? No, you may take them in any order since we are not a cohort model. Individual students enter the program in any quarter of the year and begin to take courses as needed. We recommend that you take action research proposal mid-way through your program and the action research implementation course toward the end. Speak to your ECE advisor for more information about such matters.

4. Can I use all my credits from another institution? Is there a restriction? There is a limit of 15 transfer credits, including PSU credits taken before formal admission to the master's program. Not all transfer credits are acceptable. Your advisor makes the final determination (with the approval of the Office of Graduate Studies).

5. Is there a time limit to complete work for my master's? You are allowed 7 years in order to complete the required coursework. Coursework older than 7 years will not count toward your degree. Any courses transferred from another institution must also be within 7 years of your graduation date. A limit of 15 credits may be transferred.

6. What about electives - how do I know what's acceptable? Electives are usually chosen with the help of your advisor, who is assigned to you when you are admitted. Most graduate level courses (500 & above) are good choices; HOWEVER, there are certain exceptions: No 808 (workshop) courses are acceptable for a master's degree, and only 6 credits of 810 (professional development/in-service) credits may be used. All transfer credits must show a grade of B or higher. Pass/No Pass courses are not acceptable.

7. What's the difference between the MA & MS? I already have a BA, so doesn't that mean I'd be getting an MA? The main difference between MA (master of arts) and MS (master of science) is that an MA degree requires a foreign language exam, given by a PSU foreign language department, or a waiver showing demonstrated proof of fluency in another language.