Teaching to transcend all barriers
April 13, 2014
Completion of prerequisites is strongly recommended prior to starting the program. Extended time may be added should you need to take some during the program.
Early Childhood and Elementary Authorizations (multiple subjects):
Lib 428 - Children's Literature
Mth 211, 212, 213 - Foundations of Elementary Mathematics
Middle Level and/or High School Authorization (single subject):
* Content area prerequisite courses are determined by various academic departments at Portland State University. Please use the following link to access information pertinent to specific subject area endorsement: Prerequisite courses recommended and approved for your subject area(s). At least four weeks before the December 1st application deadline, meet with the appropriate Content Area Advisor to determine the required prerequisites; those courses are listed on the Department Recommendation Form and serve as an applicant’s required prerequisites.
Many of these courses have substitutions from other colleges and universities, please see the Course Equivalency Chart.
University admission criteria
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 from previous community college or university
- TOEFL score of 525 for students for whom English is a second language UNLESS you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien
- Click here for more information on general university undergraduate admission
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.75
- TOEFL score of 550 unless you have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from an English-speaking university (this can be either in the U.S. or your native country)
- Visit the PSU Admissions site for more information on general university graduate admission.
- Attend an information session in your district or contact Lynda Pullen at email@example.com.
- Complete the two applications described below
University application components
- Undergraduate application form – declare liberal studies major
- Graduate application form – declare master’s in education (MEd)
- $50 application fee
- Submit one official transcript, in sealed envelope, from every college or university attended (except PSU)
- Foreign transcripts should be submitted in original language AND certified English translation
- Graduate students: submit a copy of diploma in original language
- Copy of INS status for non-citizens
Please access our online application through the link above to create a free application account, then complete your application following the steps below. Be sure to write down your user name and password so that you can track the progress of your application as it is reviewed.
Your completed application will include:
- Two essays (submitted as part of the online application)
- One in native language
- One in second language
- One unofficial transcript for every college or university attended
- Three BTP recommendation letters to be sent directly to BTP office from:
- Immediate supervisor
- Other licensed professionals who have observed you in your current role during this school year
- Copies of your basic skills test score report(s)