CC403: Construction Contracting Tools
This course will walk you step by step through the traditional design-bid-build process most governments have historically used. Students will be introduced to various tools and techniques that can help ensure a successful construction project. Checklists for the various types of insurance and bonds will be covered, along with how to best manage construction change orders and contract amendments. Students will review real public projects, including many that received media attention and audits, in determining “lessons learned” on these projects.
What You Cover
- Traditional construction bidding process
- Use of master contract templates and standard contract terms
- Contract administration plans and other useful tools and techniques
- Common types and levels of insurance and bonds
- Case studies from recent public construction projects
- Audit recommendations for improving contracting practices
How You Benefit
- Understand the benefits and challenges of the design-bid-build process
- Learn how checklists and tools can benefit your project
- Learn how to apply appropriate risk management measures
- Learn valuable lessons from mistakes made by other organizations
Discounts may apply, please refer to the registration page for details.
Instructor: Elizabeth Gibson
Elizabeth Gibson has a background as a senior project manager in the high-tech industry and has also operated her own construction contracting business in the Portland area. She holds a BS in Electrical Engineering, a Master’s in Mechanical Engineering, and is currently pursuing her PhD in Engineering Technology Management at PSU. Elizabeth has over twenty years of teaching experience at Portland Community College, Northwest College of Construction, and University of Phoenix.
Instructor: Darin Matthews
Darin Matthews has nearly 25 years of contracting experience in both the public and private sectors. He is currently the director of contracting and procurement for PSU and has held high level positions for several Oregon public agencies. Darin has a Bachelor’s degree in Business and a Masters in Acquisition Management. He speaks on contracting and procurement issues around the world and is considered a subject matter expert. He has served as business faculty for PSU and Florida Atlantic University, and has taught construction contracting for the Institute for Public Procurement for over 10 years.
The Certificate in Construction Contracting is focused primarily on methods used in Oregon and Washington, but these are consistent with practices in other parts of the US. Experience in the public construction process is helpful for this program, but it is not required.
For information on bringing this course onsite, please contact Melissa Endicott.