BV150 Professional Writing
This course will equip students with the skills and tools they need to be effective and strategic business writers. We will cover basic elements that underscore all good business writing, with a special emphasis on brevity and clarity. We will then progress to more in-depth special subjects including persuasive writing and communication on difficult and complex topics. Group and individual exercises throughout the course will give students ample opportunity to apply the skills they are learning. The entire course will underscore the most important part of business writing: Support of the business objective.
What You Cover
- Understand the important elements of business writing and how to apply them
- How to organize content to support a business objective
- How to make short-form writing compelling and effective
- Learn techniques for explaining difficult subjects
- Spot, correct, and avoid some common pitfalls of business writing
How You Benefit
- Enhance your persuasive writing and make it credible and effective
- Gain new confidence in the correctness of your writing
- Increased professionalism and confidence in the workplace
Instructor: Anne Ely Kenlon
Anne Ely Kenlon is a senior-level writer and communications manager with 35 years of experience across a broad variety of business disciplines. As a seasoned strategist and counsel to senior leaders at three Fortune 500 companies, she has written executive speeches, video scripts, opinion columns, and media pitches. Her main focus has been on employee communications and translating complex technical and financial information into understandable terms. She recently relocated to Portland from Corning, N.Y., where she managed the employee global news program for Corning Incorporated and maintained a reader satisfaction rate of more than 95%. She holds bachelor's degrees in English and journalism from Clarke University in Dubuque, Iowa and a master's degree in Management and Administrative Science from the University of Texas - Dallas.
Electronic course materials will be made available prior to the start date of the course
Associated Press Stylebook
The Elements of Style (Strunk & White)
Interested in bringing this program onsite to your organization? Please contact Kristen Pedersen.