Search Google Appliance

Training and Development Program - Frequently Asked Questions


I notice that the classes are offered at both graduate and undergraduate level. Which should I take? 

You would take the classes at graduate level if you do NOT currently have a graduate degree and plan to obtain one in the next seven years as part of your life/career plan. Otherwise, undergraduate is fine. You can earn the certificates of completion at either level. You can ONLY count the courses toward a graduate degree if you take them at graduate level you cannot come back after a class is completed and ask to have the level changed.

How long does it usually take to complete a Training and Development certificate?

The average student in the Training and Development program takes approximately 18-24 months to complete a certificate by taking one class per term. It is very much possible to complete a certificate in one year. The program is quite flexible.

When and where are the classes held?

Most of the classes are hybrid; a combination of online and face-to-face, held weeknights after 6:30 pm, and on Saturdays all day. Some of the hybrid courses are more online with fewer class meetings on campus to accommodate those outside of Portland as well.  The Methods and Models for Intercultural Training course is a three-day intensive class in July every year, when we join the Summer Institute for Intercultural Communication. The Developing Intercultural Competence course is a five-day intensive class at the same summer institute. Most of the classes are offered on the main PSU campus, however our completely face-to-face classes are held at the Intercultural Communication Institute, off SW Canyon Road in Portland; and the Summer Institute for Intercultural Communication takes place on the campus of Reed College.

When and where do I find the Training and Development courses? 

The Training and Development series is a self-supporting program of the Graduate School of Education and usually publishes its classes separately in the Continuing Education catalog, Web page, and in the Training and Development brochure. We recommend you bookmark the Training and Development program website and click on "'Current Courses" for the most up-to-date logistical information. We usually publish our classes approximately six weeks before each term. Often the full year's schedule is available by the end of the summer, but the actual course numbers and the ability to register go online six weeks before the start of the term.

What about textbooks and materials?

There are always textbooks in all of the Training and Development courses, and we cannot project these costs. We recommend students be prepared to spend $100 per class on average for texts. Some classes have materials fees built into them to cover copyright-cleared readings and/or assessment instruments—but there are always texts on top of these materials charges.

What are the tuition and fees?

The Training and Development program charges tuition at the same rate as the rest of the university.

Estimated cost of completing an initial graduate certificate of completion in Training and Development is approximately $7,500. Estimated cost of completing an initial undergraduate certificate of completion in Training and Development is approximately $4,300. These estimates are not exact and are based on tuition and fees for the 2012-13 academic year. We can only quote you an estimate based on this year's tuition; the University sets its tuition every year—late spring to early summer. Please contact the program manager for more details at

I note that the Summer Intercultural Class' tuition is different from the other classes. Why is that and how does it work?

The Summer Methods and Models of Intercultural Training and Developing Intercultural Competence classes are offered in cooperation with the Intercultural Communications Institute, so the tuition and fees are paid directly to the Institute and NOT to PSU. In this setting there can be no scaling or waiving of tuition for admitted graduate students or teaching assistants. You also cannot apply financial aid for this course.