ReadOregon - Admissions
If you plan to earn your 24-credit reading endorsement through ReadOregon at PSU, you will need to apply both to the university AND to the Graduate School of Education
If you just want to take literacy courses for your own professional development or for updating your license, you do not have to be formally admitted to PSU or to the Graduate School of Education
Step 1: Portland State University application
- Use this link to apply online or use this paper application.
- Enter the following codes:
- Degree: EDLP
- Major: EDLE for Early Childhood/Elementary OR EDLS for Middle School/HS, depending on your level of authorization
- Concentration: RORE
- It is a university requirement that students register and pay for at least one credit during the term in which they are admitted. Failure to do so will result in automatic cancellation of your admission.
- Please submit all official transcripts to PSU Admissions
Step 2: Graduate School of Education department application
- Use this link to access TK20 and create a free application account.
- Click the 'Create New Application' button, then select and fully complete the CI Added Endorsement Application. You can save and return to your application before it is completed but you must click the Submit Application Now' button when it is complete.
- You will find instructions for submitting your references, transcripts, teaching license and resume in the application.
- If you are planning on earning your masters in Curriculum and Instruction at the same time as your reading endorsement, choose and submit the CI Masters Program application.
Faculty will review your applications only after all materials have been received. After the application review is complete, departmental decisions will be mailed to you and are subject to final approval by the university Office of Admissions. You will be notified of your official admission status via a second letter from the PSU Office of Admissions.
- If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program at Portland State, please submit a completed GO-19 Form with your application packet to the Graduate School of Education. You do not need to reapply to PSU.
- Students pursuing the 12-credit Literacy Education Certificate of Completion may apply to Portland State University as a postbaccalaureate student or take up to eight credits per term without formal admission to the Graduate School of Education or Office of Admissions at PSU. A Literacy Education Certificate of Completion is granted to the student once 12 credits from literacy education courses are completed.
- Master's degrees must be completed within seven years. This seven year period begins with the earliest course being counted towards the master’s degree and ends with the quarter in which the student applies for graduation. Students completing the program must also take a class during their term of graduation.
- If you are considering pursuing a MS/MA at PSU Graduate School of Education, there is a limit of 15 transfer credits, including Portland State University credits, taken before formal admission to the master’s program. You may want to consider officially applying for the endorsement and master's at the same time. Please visit pdx.edu/ci for complete information on the MA/MS in Curriculum and Instruction.
- As of Fall 2009 PSU is charging a one-time matriculation fee (charged on the first graduate admission) for all new and transfer graduate students.