ReadOregon - Admissions
If you plan to earn your 24-credit reading endorsement through ReadOregon at PSU, you will need to apply both to the university AND to the Graduate School of Education
If you just want to take literacy courses for your own professional development or for updating your license, you do not have to be formally admitted to PSU or to the Graduate School of Education.
To be considered for admission, candidates must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a strong academic record.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Hold a current teaching license
- Application deadlines are:
February 15 for spring term
May 15 for summer term
August 15 for fall term
November 15 for winter term
Admission to the endorsement requires two applications:
|Step 1: PSU Graduate Application|
- In order to be "officially" admitted to PSU, you must take a course during the term in which you request to be admitted. If you do not take a class during your term of admission, your admission will be canceled.
- When you go to the PSU application site (linked above) and create an application, you're going to want to select the following when it asks you for these specific entries:
- Student type: Graduate Master
- Planned curriculum: Education: Curriculum & Instruction, MS
|Step 2: Graduate School of Education department application
- Use this link to access Tk20 and create a free application account (if you already have an application account, use it instead of creating a new one), then log in to your account.
- Click the “Create a New Application” button, then select and complete the CI Added Endorsement Application.
- Fully complete all pages of the online application. You can save and return to your application before it is completed if necessary, however you must click the "Submit Application Now" button when it is complete.
- If you are planning on earning your masters in Curriculum and Instruction at the same time as your endorsement, use the CI Master's Program application (either on campus or online) instead.
Faculty will review your applications only after all materials have been received. After the application review is complete, departmental decisions will be mailed to you and are subject to final approval by the university Office of Admissions. You will be notified of your official admission status via a second letter from the PSU Office of Admissions.
- If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program at Portland State, please submit a completed GO-19 Form to the Graduate School of Education. You do not need to reapply to PSU.
- Students pursuing the 12-credit Literacy Education Certificate of Completion may apply to Portland State University as a postbaccalaureate student or take up to eight credits per term without formal admission to the Graduate School of Education or Office of Admissions at PSU. A Literacy Education Certificate of Completion is granted to the student once 12 credits from literacy education courses are completed.
- If you are considering pursuing a MS/MA at PSU Graduate School of Education, there is a limit of 15 transfer credits, including Portland State University credits, taken before formal admission to the master’s program. You may want to consider officially applying for the endorsement and master's at the same time. Please visit pdx.edu/ci for complete information on the MA/MS in Curriculum and Instruction.
- As of Fall 2009 PSU is charging a one-time matriculation fee (charged on the first graduate admission) for all new and transfer graduate students.