Multicultural Special Education Certificate of Completion
Portland State University’s online Multicultural Special Education Certificate prepares educators to address the instructional, language and literacy needs of the growing population of emergent bilingual students (formerly known as English Learners) with and without disabilities. Through a series of five graduate courses, participants develop critical skills to differentiate students whose academic challenges stem from the normal second language acquisition process and cultural difference from those with intrinsic disabilities. This unique program is especially appropriate for all educators involved in prereferral, RTI and multidisciplinary teams.
- Benefit from the accumulated knowledge of a national advisory board of experts
- Learn to distinguish language differences from intrinsic disabilities
- Understand the legal mandates for instructing emergent bilinguals with and without disabilities
- Gain competencies to serve emergent bilingual students across the continuum of instructional environments and abilities
- Acquire skills in assessing culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Learn cross-cultural communication skills to build effective partnerships with diverse families and communities
- K-12 monolingual and bilingual educators and administrators
- Related service providers
- Members of RTI teams, pre-referral and multidisciplinary teams
- A series of five 3-credit courses
- 15 graduate credits
- Fully online delivery
- Whether you are a first time PSU student or returning student, visit our registration page for information about creating a student account and registering for classes
- Our online software is called Desire2Learn or D2L. Questions about this software may be answered here.
This certificate of completion is pending approval as a Graduate Certificate.
What is a Certificate of Completion?
Certificates of Completion are awarded to all students who successfully complete a series of linked courses with a defined focus. The certificate distributed upon completion of the identified courses reflects the total number of credits earned (graduate or undergraduate). These certificates of completion have been approved by the appropriate department(s). The individual courses will appear on your PSU transcript. The title of the certificate of completion will not. This series of courses is not eligible for federal financial aid unless taken as part of a degree program.