Library Media K-12 Initial License - Prerequisites and Admissions
We are no longer accepting applications for this program as it is in the process of being revised.
Prerequisites and Tests
Prerequisites for Library Media Initial Licensure
- CI 432/532 Computer Applications for the Classroom*
- LIB 428/528 Children's Literature K-5**
- LIB 429/529 Young Adult Literature
- PSY 311 Human Development***
- SPED 418/518 Survey of Exceptional Learner
- ED 420/520 Introduction to Education and Society (highly recommended)
Basic Skills Test Series (reading, writing, math) required for Admission to Library Media Initial Licensure:
Effective 1/1/2012 TSPC requires all students to have passing scores on either the PPST, NES EAS or or CBEST when they are admitted. Applicants must provide proof of these passing scores before we can admit them.
Test series options:
- Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills (PPST)
- NES Essential Academic Skills (EAS)
- California Basic Skills Test (CBEST) - no longer offered in Oregon, but still accepted
Portland State University accepts the following courses in substitution of CI 432:
Portland Community College ED 136
Western Oregon University ED 421
Clackamas Community College ED 235
Portland State University accepts the following courses in substitution of LIB 428:
Portland Community College ED 112
Mount Hood Community College ENG 221
Chemekata Community College ECE 154
Clark College (Vancouver) ECE 116
Possibly Clackamas Community College ECE 154 with a copy of the syllabus and a waiver request.
*Waiver form: please complete the Library Media waiver form to request a prerequisite waiver or course substitution. Submit to:
Continuing Education/Graduate School of Education
Portland State University
Attention: Elizabeth Snyder, GSE 204
PO Box 751 Portland, OR 97207-0751
Formal admission to both PSU and the Library Media Program is required for participation in the initial K-12 licensure program.
Candidates must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and a strong academic record; in most cases a 3.0 cumulative GPA is necessary. Students must also submit passing scores on a basic educational skills test.
Value is placed on interpersonal skills, experience in working with children, academic achievement, coursework preparation, potential to meet the needs of students, social development, and motivation.
May 15, 2012 for summer term 2012 (please note - this is the last term that we will be admitting students to this program)
You must complete two separate applications as part of the process of applying to this program:
Step 1: PSU University Application
- Please select either MA (requires meeting the foreign language requirement) or MS for your degree option andEDML as your major (Educational Media/Librarianship).
- Please request to be admitted to PSU for the term that you will be taking a PSU class. Students must take a class during their term of admission for their admission to become “official.” If you do not take a class during your term of admission, your admission will be canceled. To avoid having to re-apply, you must complete a form from PSU Admissions to update your term of admission either before or during the term you have been admitted.
- You will be asked to submit one set of official transcripts from all institutions attended except Portland State University in sealed original envelopes from the institutions
- The fee for this application is $50
- If you are admitted to another PSU graduate program, you must complete the Request for Change of Major Master's Level GO-19M, and the $50 fee is waived.
Step 2: Library/Media Program admission
Initial K-12 License in Library/Media (online application)
Please access our online application through the link above to create a free account. If you do not already have an account, you can create a free account, complete your application and track the progress of your application through this site.
Once you have an account and have logged in:
- Click the "Create a New Application" button
- Select the option for Initial K-12 License in Library/Media
- Fully complete both pages of the online application. You can save and return to your application before it is completed if necessary, however you must click the "Submit Application Now" button when it is complete. Please pay attention to application deadlines, as you will be unable to edit or submit your appication after the application deadline passes. You will, however, be able to track the review process through this site.
After submitting the application you will be able to track the review process through this site so be sure to write down your username and password.
When the review process is completed, applicants are notified of their admission status by letter (typically, the letters go out six to eight weeks after the application deadline).
Applicants must begin the program in the term for which they are admitted.
Accepted students will be assessed:
- A one-time matriculation fee if this is their first admission to a graduate program at PSU as of Fall 2009.
- A one-time TK20 fee ($100, payable directly to TK20)
The Initial License program must be completed within seven years. This seven-year period begins with the earliest course being counted towards the Initial License and ends with the quarter in which the student applies for graduation, i.e. if a student completes all courses in seven years but does not apply for graduation by the end of the seven-year period, additional courses may need to be taken. Students completing the program must also take a class during their term of graduation.
Students can only transfer 15 credits into the Initial License in Library Media. Portland State University coursework taken prior to admission to the Initial License program is considered as transfer credits into that degree.
- TSPC Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission
- OSPI Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- CCTC California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- NBPTS National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
As soon as you are admitted to the Library Media Initial License, you must complete the following:
These need to be completed before you begin taking classes.