Library Media Endorsement - Prerequisites and Admissions
Prerequisites and Tests
Prerequisites for Library Media Endorsement
- CI 432/532 Computer Applications for the Classroom*
- LIB 428/528 Children's Literature K-5**
- LIB 429/529 Young Adult Literature
- PSU schedule of classes
*PSU accepts the following courses in substitution of CI 432:
- Portland Community College ED 136
- Western Oregon University ED 421
- Clackamas Community College ED 235
**PSU accepts the following courses in substitution of LIB 428:
- Portland Community College ED 112
- Mount Hood Community College ENG 221
- Chemekata Community College ECE 154
- Clark College (Vancouver) ECE 116
- Possibly Clackamas Community College ECE 154 with a copy of the syllabus and a waiver request.
*Waiver form: please complete the Library Media waiver form to request a prerequisite waiver or course substitution.
Graduate School of Education
Portland State University
Attention: Mark Wallace, FAB 290-06
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207
Formal admission to both PSU and the Library Media Program is required for participation in any of the Library Media programs.
To be considered for admission, candidates must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a strong academic record.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Hold a current teaching license
Admission to the endorsement requires two applications:
|Step 1: PSU Graduate Application|
- In order to be "officially" admitted to PSU, you must take a course during the term in which you request to be admitted. If you do not take a class during your term of admission, your admission will be canceled.
- When you go to the PSU application site (linked above) and create an application, you're going to want to select the following when it asks you for these specific entries:
- Student type: Graduate Master
- Planned curriculum: Education: Curriculum & Instruction, MS
- Unofficial transcripts are required for all institutions attended as part of the application process. Please upload copies of your unofficial transcripts into the appropriate section of the online application. Please review what constitutes an unofficial transcript.
Note: Once admitted, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to enrollment.
Former PSU students do not need to submit transcripts that are already on file. Please use the PSU Transcript Request Form to notify the admissions team to pull your previous records. You will need to upload this completed form in lieu of uploading unofficial transcripts.
|Step 2: Graduate School of Education department application
- Use this link to access Tk20 and create a free application account (if you already have an application account, use it instead of creating a new one), then log in to your account.
- Click the “Create a New Application” button, then select and complete the CI Added Endorsement Application.
- Fully complete all pages of the online application. You can save and return to your application before it is completed if necessary, however you must click the "Submit Application Now" button when it is complete.
- If you are planning on earning your masters in Curriculum and Instruction at the same time as your endorsement, use the CI Master's Program application (either on campus or online) instead.
After submitting your application you will be able to track the review process through this site, so be sure to write down your username and password.
When the review process is completed, applicants are notified of their admission status by letter.
Applicants must begin the program in the term for which they are accepted.
Accepted students will be assessed:
- A one-time matriculation fee if this is their first admission to a graduate program at PSU as of Fall 2009.