Library Media Endorsement - Prerequisites and Admissions
Prerequisites and Tests
Prerequisites for Library Media Endorsement
- CI 432/532 Computer Applications for the Classroom*
- LIB 428/528 Children's Literature K-5**
- LIB 429/529 Young Adult Literature
- PSU schedule of classes
*PSU accepts the following courses in substitution of CI 432:
- Portland Community College ED 136
- Western Oregon University ED 421
- Clackamas Community College ED 235
**PSU accepts the following courses in substitution of LIB 428:
- Portland Community College ED 112
- Mount Hood Community College ENG 221
- Chemekata Community College ECE 154
- Clark College (Vancouver) ECE 116
- Possibly Clackamas Community College ECE 154 with a copy of the syllabus and a waiver request.
*Waiver form: please complete the Library Media waiver form to request a prerequisite waiver or course substitution.
PSU Continuing Education
Attention: Mark Wallace/GSE 602
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207
Formal admission to both PSU and the Library Media Program is required for participation in any of the Library Media programs.
To be considered for admission, candidates must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a strong academic record.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Hold a current teaching license if applying for the endorsement
- Application deadlines are:
November 15 for winter term
February 15 for spring term
May 15 for summer term
August 15 for fall term
Admission to the endorsement requires two applications:
|Step 1: PSU Graduate Admission Form|
- In order to be "officially" admitted to PSU, you must take a course during the term in which you request to be admitted. If you do not take a class during your term of admission, your admission will be canceled.
- One set of official transcripts from all institutions attended except Portland State University in sealed original envelopes from the institutions
- $50 check made payable to Portland State University. (If you are admitted to another PSU graduate program, you must complete the Request for Change of Major Master's Level GO-19M, and the $50 fee is waived.)
Graduate School of Education
Portland State University
Attention: Mark Wallace, ED 602
PO Box 751 Portland, OR 97207-0751
Or hand deliver to 204 Graduate School of Education.
|Step 2: Graduate School of Education department application
- Use this link to access Tk20 and create a free application account (if you already have an application account, use it instead of creating a new one), then log in to your account.
- Click the “Create a New Application” button, then select and complete the CI Added Endorsement Application.
- Fully complete all pages of the online application. You can save and return to your application before it is completed if necessary, however you must click the "Submit Application Now" button when it is complete.
- If you are planning on earling your masters in Curriculum and Instruction at the same time as your endorsement, use the CI Master's Program application (either on campus or online) instead.
After submitting your application you will be able to track the review process through this site, so be sure to write down your username and password.
When the review process is completed, applicants are notified of their admission status by letter (typically, the letters go out six to eight weeks after the application deadline).
Applicants must begin the program in the term for which they are accepted.
Accepted students will be assessed:
- A one-time matriculation fee if this is their first admission to a graduate program at PSU as of Fall 2009.