Library Media Endorsement - Prerequisites and Admissions
Prerequisites and Tests
Prerequisites for Library Media Endorsement
- CI 432/532 Computer Applications for the Classroom*
- Choose either
- LIB 428/528 Children's Literature K-5**
- LIB 429/529 Young Adult Literature
*PSU accepts the following courses in substitution of CI 432:
Portland Community College ED 136
Western Oregon University ED 421
Clackamas Community College ED 235
**PSU accepts the following courses in substitution of LIB 428:
Portland Community College ED 112
Mount Hood Community College ENG 221
Chemekata Community College ECE 154
Clark College (Vancouver) ECE 116
Possibly Clackamas Community College ECE 154 with a copy of the syllabus and a waiver request.
*Waiver form: please complete the Library Media waiver form to request a prerequisite waiver or course substitution.
PSU Continuing Education
Attention: Elizabeth Snyder/GSE 204
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207
Formal admission to both PSU and the Library Media Program is required for participation in any of the Library Media programs.
To be considered for admission, candidates must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a strong academic record.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Hold a current teaching license if applying for the endorsement
- Application deadlines are:
November 15 for winter term
February 15 for spring term
May 15 for summer term
August 15 for fall term
Admission to the Endorsement and Master's Degree requires two applications:
|PSU Graduate Admission Form|
- Please request to be admitted to PSU for the term that you will be taking a PSU class. Students must take a class during their term of admission for their admission to become “official.” If you do not take a class during your term of admission, your admission will be canceled. To avoid having to re-apply, you must complete a form from PSU Admissions to update your term of admission either before or during the term you have been admitted.
- One set of official transcripts from all institutions attended except Portland State University in sealed original envelopes from the institutions
- $50 check made payable to Portland State University. (If you are admitted to another PSU graduate program, you must complete the Request for Change of Major Master's Level GO-19M, and the $50 fee is waived.)
Continuing Education/Graduate School of Education
Portland State University
Attention: Elizabeth Snyder, SOE 204
PO Box 751 Portland, OR 97207-0751
Or hand deliver to 204 Graduate School of Education. If you are applying to both the endorsement and the master's degree simultaneously, please submit with both the endorsement and the master's degree checked off. You only need to submit one application fee.
|Library Media Online Application Form (Tk20)
Please access our online application through the link above. If you do not already have an account, you can create a free account, complete your application, and track the progress of your application through this site.
Once you have an account and have logged in:
- Click the “Create a New Application” button
- Select and complete the Library Media Endorsement Program Application.
- Fully complete both pages of the online application. You can save and return to your application before it is completed if necessary, however you must click the "Submit Application Now" button when it is complete. Please pay attention to application deadlines, as you will be unable to edit or submit your application after the application deadline passes. You will, however, be able to track the review process through this site.
After submitting your application you will be able to track the review process through this site, so be sure to write down your username and password.
When the review process is completed, applicants are notified of their admission status by letter (typically, the letters go out six to eight weeks after the application deadline).
Applicants must begin the program in the term for which they are accepted.
Accepted students will be assessed:
- A one-time matriculation fee if this is their first admission to a graduate program at PSU as of Fall 2009.
- A one-time TK20 fee ($100, payable directly to TK20)
Students can only transfer 15 credits into the Initial License in Library Media. Portland State University coursework taken prior to admission to the Initial License program is considered as transfer credits into that degree.