Search Google Appliance

ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement - Program Completion

Once you have completed the ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement coursework and done your supervised practicum, you are ready to complete the program.  PSU must provide verification to TSPC that you have met all requirements for the ESOL or ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement to be added to your teaching license. You are eligible to complete this final paperwork process if you have accomplished the following:


  1. Admission to PSU’s ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement Program.
  2. Completion (or successful waiver) of all required courses and the final practicum.
  3. Passing the ESOL ORELA test (ESOL Praxis II test prior to 9/1/2009), with official score results sent to TSPC and PSU.
  4. For the “bilingual” designation, passing additional required tests for Spanish, French, or German; or, providing other acceptable evidence of fluency in another language (see Proof of Bilingual Competency below).



You hold either an Oregon Initial/Continuing, or Basic/Standard teaching license (the endorsement cannot be added to a transitional or any other type of license).


  1. Request for Licensure Recommendation form
  2. ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement Program of Study form
  3. Copy of ESOL test scores
  4. Proof of bilingual fluency, if applicable

General licensure information to contact licensure directly

Instructions for adding an endorsement step by step

Submit all documentation in a single packet to:

Office of Field Placement and Licensure
Graduate School of Education
Portland State University
PO Box 751
Portland OR 97207-0751

Or deliver to the second floor of the Fourth Avenue Building, 1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR.

Proof of bilingual competency

The following are forms of evidence acceptable to PSU as proof of your competency in a language other than English:

  1. If your language is Spanish, French, or German, you may take the appropriate ORELA test.
  2. If your language is other than one of those listed above, we will make arrangements for you to be assessed by the PSU Department of World Languages & Literatures or by a local refugee agency. Written documentation from the World Languages Department or the agency will be your evidence. (Please contact Elizabeth Snyder at 503-725-9786 or, to make arrangements for an assessment.)
  3. If you hold an Oregon teaching license/endorsement to teach a language other than English (e.g., you are licensed/endorsed to teach high school Spanish), this will qualify you for the bilingual designation.
  4. If you graduated from a college or university in a country where your non-English language is spoken, and did your course work in that language, your transcript from that college or university will be your evidence. (We will make arrangements to have your transcript reviewed and translated if needed.)



Elizabeth Snyder