ESL/Bilingual Endorsement - Program Completion
PSU must provide verification to TSPC that you have met all requirements for the ESL or ESL/Bilingual Endorsement to be added to your teaching license. You are eligible to complete this final paperwork process if you have accomplished the following:
- Admission to PSU’s ESL/Bilingual Endorsement Program.
- Completion or successful waiver of all required courses and the final practicum.
- Passing the ESOL ORELA test (ESOL Praxis II test prior to 9/1/2009), with official score results sent to TSPC and PSU.
- For the “bilingual” designation, passing additional required tests for Spanish, French, or German; or, providing other acceptable evidence of fluency in another language (see Proof of Bilingual Competency below).
You hold either an Oregon Initial/Continuing, or Basic/Standard teaching license (the endorsement cannot be added to a transitional or any other type of license).
If you meet the above requirements, follow these Instructions for Adding an ESL Endorsement using the forms below.
- Completed Request for Licensure Recommendation form
- Completed ESL/Bilingual Endorsement Program of Study form
- Copy of ESOL test scores
- Proof of bilingual fluency if applicable
- $25 check or money order payable to PSU for licensure processing fee
(students admitted prior to fall term 2010 are exempt)
Submit all documentation in a single packet to:
Office of Field Placement and Licensure
Graduate School of Education
Portland State University
PO Box 751
Portland OR 97207-0751
or deliver to Room 602, Graduate School of Education, 615 SW Harrison St, Portland, OR.
Proof of bilingual competency
The following are forms of evidence acceptable to PSU as proof of your competency in a language other than English:
- If your language is Spanish, pass the NES Spanish test (prior to Sept. 1, 2010, Praxis II Spanish Content Knowledge and Spanish Productive Language Skills). For French or German, pass the Praxis II Content Knowledge and Productive Language Skills tests for these languages. Your test score(s) will be your evidence.
- If your language is other than one of those listed above, we will make arrangements for you to be assessed by the PSU Department of World Languages & Literatures or by a local refugee agency. Written documentation from the World Languages Department or the agency will be your evidence. (Please contact the ESL/Bilingual Endorsement Program Manager, Greta Krahn, at 503-725-8554 or email@example.com, to make arrangements for an assessment.)
- If you hold an Oregon teaching license/endorsement to teach a language other than English (e.g., you are licensed/endorsed to teach high school Spanish), this will qualify you for the bilingual designation.
- If you graduated from a college or university in a country where your non-English language is spoken, and did your course work in that language, your transcript from that college or university will be your evidence. (We will make arrangements to have your transcript reviewed and translated if needed.)
ESL/Bilingual Endorsement Program Manager