ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement Program
In today's classrooms, you are increasingly expected to work with linguistically and culturally diverse students. The ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement Program consists of a comprehensive set of courses that prepares teachers to meet this challenge. Help every child in your classroom succeed by:
- Gaining a greater understanding of how diversity affects the teaching and learning process
- Identifying and appreciating cultural and linguistic factors affecting student adjustment, development, and learning
- Developing strategies for assessment, curriculum development, and instruction to help all students learn
- Understanding other cultures' orientations to education and school, and how to foster better relationships with students, their families, and their communities
Recommendation for the Endorsement to be added to a current teaching license is made to the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) upon successful completion of this program and receiving a passing score on the ESOL ORELA exam.
The ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement Program prepares licensed K-12 teachers to work more effectively with their linguistically and culturally diverse students. The content of the program courses addresses the endorsement requirements and TSPC standards established by the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC).
While the program is designed for teachers to add the endorsement to a license, other education professionals and paraprofessionals, including school administrators, counselors, school psychologists, speech and language pathologists, and instructional assistants, can benefit from the content of the courses.
What you gain:
- Mastery of competencies and skills
Function more effectively in your diversified classroom
- Network and resources
Broaden your professional base by linking with others in the field and accessing valuable resources
- Quality instruction
Learn from qualified school-based practitioners and Portland State faculty currently implementing and studying aspects emphasized in the program
- Practical experience
Apply classroom ideas to actual field practice at the level of your current teaching license through a final practicum experience
- TSPC ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement
Qualify for a TSPC ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement after completion of all program requirements
Click here for information on available scholarships, financial aid, and estimated program costs.