ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement - Admissions
Formal admission to both PSU and the ESOL/Bilingual Program is required for completion of the endorsement. If you just want to take ESOL courses for your own professional development or for updating your license, you do not have to be formally admitted to PSU or to the Graduate School of Education.
To be considered for admission, candidates must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a strong academic record.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Hold a current teaching license
- Application deadlines are:
February 15 for spring term
May 15 for summer term
August 15 for fall term
November 15 for winter term
Admission to the endorsement requires two applications:
|Step 1: PSU Graduate Admission Form|
- In order to be "officially" admitted to PSU, you must take a course during the term in which you request to be admitted. If you do not take a class during your term of admission, your admission will be canceled.
- One set of official transcripts from all institutions attended except Portland State University in sealed original envelopes from the institutions
- $65 check made payable to Portland State University. (If you are admitted to another PSU graduate program, you must complete the Request for Change of Major Master's Level GO-19M, and the $65 fee is waived.)
Graduate School of Education
Portland State University
Attention: Mark Wallace, FAB 290-06
PO Box 751 Portland, OR 97207-0751
Or hand deliver to the second floor of the Fourth Avenue Building.
|Step 2: Graduate School of Education department application
- Use this link to access Tk20 and create a free application account (if you already have an application account, use it instead of creating a new one), then log in to your account.
- Click the “Create a New Application” button, then select and complete the CI Added Endorsement Application.
- Fully complete all pages of the online application. You can save and return to your application before it is completed if necessary, however you must click the "Submit Application Now" button when it is complete.
- If you are planning on earning your masters in Curriculum and Instruction at the same time as your endorsement, use the CI Master's Program application (either on campus or online) instead.
Faculty will review your applications only after all materials have been received. After the application review is complete, departmental decisions will be mailed to you and are subject to final approval by the university Office of Admissions. You will be notified of your official admission status via a second letter from the PSU Office of Admissions.
- If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program at Portland State, please submit a completed GO-19 Form and complete step #2 above. You do not need to complete an additional PSU application.
- If you are considering pursuing a MS/MA at PSU Graduate School of Education, there is a limit of 15 transfer credits, including Portland State University credits, taken before formal admission to the master’s program. You may want to consider officially applying for the endorsement and master's at the same time. Please visit pdx.edu/ci for complete information on the MA/MS in Curriculum and Instruction.
- As of Fall 2009 PSU is charging a one-time matriculation fee (charged on the first graduate admission) for all new and transfer graduate students.
- Those students whose first language is not English and who do not have an undergraduate degree from the United States are required to take TOEFL. An official TOEFL score must be sent directly to Portland State from the Educational Testing Services. Required minimum: 550/600. For more information, contact Educational Testing Services at ets.org.
NOTE: All students admitted to or taking courses in the ESOL/bilingual endorsement program must comply with the Graduate School of Education Student Behavior and Performance Guidelines.