ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement - Admissions
Formal admission to both Portland State University AND the Graduate School of Education ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement Program is required for completion of the endorsement. Admission applications are accepted and processed on an ongoing basis; there is no deadline date for applications.
To be considered for admission, candidates must:
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be a licensed teacher or an active student in an academic program leading to licensure
- Complete admission procedures as outlined below. Note that it is a two-step process
Step 1: Portland State University application
- Use this link to apply online
- Enter the following codes:
- Degree: EDLP
- Major: EDLE for Early Childhood/Elementary OR EDLS for Middle School/HS, depending on your level of authorization
- Concentration: TSLC
- It is a University requirement that students register and pay for at least one credit during the term in which they are admitted. Failure to do so will result in automatic cancellation of your admission.
- One set of official transcripts from all institutions you have attended, except Portland State, in sealed original envelopes from the institutions.
- $50 application fee
- Those students whose first language is not English and who do not have an undergraduate degree from the United States are required to take TOEFL. An official TOEFL score must be sent directly to Portland State from the Educational Testing Services. Required minimum: 550/600. For more information, contact Educational Testing Services at ets.org.
Step 2: Graduate School of Education department application
- Use this link to access TK20 and create a free application account, then log in to that account.
- Click the Create New Application button, then select CI Added Endorsement Application
- Fully complete all pages of the online application. You can save and return to your application before it is completed but you must click the Submit Application Now button when it is complete.
- You will find instructions for submitting your references, transcripts, teaching license and resume in the application.
- If you are planning on earning your masters in Curriculum and Instruction at the same time as your ESOL/Bilingual endorsement, choose and submit the CI Masters Program application (either online or on campus) instead.
Faculty will review your applications only after all materials have been received. After the application review is complete, departmental decisions will be mailed to you and are subject to final approval by the university Office of Admissions. You will be notified of your official admission status via a second letter from the PSU Office of Admissions.
- If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program at Portland State, please submit a completed GO-19 Form and complete step #2 above. You do not need to complete an additional PSU application.
- Master’s degrees must be completed within seven years. This seven year period begins with the earliest course being counted towards the master’s degree and ends with the quarter in which the student applies for graduation. Students completing the program must also take a class during their term of graduation.
- If you are considering pursuing a MS/MA at PSU Graduate School of Education, there is a limit of 15 transfer credits, including Portland State University credits, taken before formal admission to the master’s program. You may want to consider officially applying for the endorsement and master's at the same time. Please visit pdx.edu/ci for complete information on the MA/MS in Curriculum and Instruction.
- As of Fall 2009 PSU is charging a one-time Matriculation Fee (charged on the first graduate admission) for all new and transfer graduate students.
NOTE: All students admitted to or taking courses in the ESOL/bilingual endorsement program must comply with the Graduate School of Education Student Behavior and Performance Guidelines.