Deepening Mathematical Understanding for Elementary Teachers Certificate of Completion
The series of classes provides you with relevant learning experiences that support you with designing meaningful lessons to help your students build capacity and enthusiasm for mathematics. The Elementary Mathematics Specialist Standards (Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators, 2010) informed the design of the courses that will prepare you to take a leadership role in mathematics, whether formal or informal.
Deepening Mathematical Understanding courses provide you with opportunities to explore the many ways that math problems can be solved, consider the advantages and disadvantages those approaches, and ways to productively use student thinking to guide instructional decisions. The math content-focused courses draw upon the Developing Mathematical Ideas (DMI), a case-based professional development curriculum that uses real classroom episodes as a basis for the learning. In these course you will explore mathematics, share and discuss the work of your students as well as those highlighted in the various cases, analyze curriculum materials, and read related research to better understand student thinking and/or trends instructional approaches always considering implications for your practice.
The courses in the series can be taken individually in any order. They are designed specifically for elementary-school teachers, teacher leaders, and coaches. Those who complete all eight courses earn a Certificate of Completion in Deepening Mathematical Understanding.
- Make sense of the Common Core Standards in Mathematics and the development of math ideas across the grades.
- Examine strategies for developing the Common Core Mathematical Practices in your students
- Recognize and respond to typical student conceptions, both correct and incorrect
- Learn to support the power and complexity of student thinking so that you can get your students excited about math!
- Built to fit easily within a full-time schedule