Children's and Young Adult Literature Graduate Certificate - Prerequisites and Admissions
Prerequisites for Graduate Certificate in Children's and Young Adult Literature
- LIB 428 Children's Literature K-5*
*PSU will accept the following courses in substitution of LIB 428:
- Portland Community College ED 112
- Mount Hood Community College ENG 221
- Chemekata Community College ECE 154
- Clark College (Vancouver) ECE 116
- Possibly Clackamas Community College ECE 154 with a copy of the syllabus and a waiver request
Waiver form: please complete the Library Media waiver form to request a prerequisite waiver or course substitution if you have taken this course at another university that is not listed above.
Formal admission to both PSU and the Library Media Program is required for participation in any of the Library Media programs.
To be considered for admission, candidates must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a strong academic record
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Graduate from an accredited college or university
- Application deadlines are:
November 15 for winter term
February 15 for spring term
May 15 for summer term
August 15 for fall term
Admission to the Graduate Certificate in Children's and Young Adult Literature requires two applications:
|PSU Graduate Admission Form|
- Please request to be admitted to PSU for the term that you will be taking a PSU class. Students must take a class during their term of admission for their admission to become “official.” If you do not take a class during your term of admission, your admission will be canceled. To avoid having to re-apply, you must complete a form from PSU Admissions to update your term of admission either before or during the term you have been admitted.
- One set of official transcripts from all institutions attended except Portland State University in sealed original envelopes from the institutions.
- The fee for this application is $50.
(If you are admitted to another PSU graduate program, you must complete the Request for Change of Major Master's Level GO-19M, and the $50 fee is waived.)
Continuing Education/Graduate School of Education
Portland State University
Attention: Elizabeth Snyder, GSE 204
PO Box 751 Portland, OR 97207-0751
|Library Media Online Application Form (Tk20)|
Please access our online application through the link above. If you do not already have a free applicant account, you can create one, complete your application, and track the progress of your application through this site.
Once you have an account and have logged in:
- Click the “Create a New Application” button
- Select and complete the CYA Literature Application.
Note: You will find instructions for submitting your references, unofficial transcripts and teaching license information to the program admissions committee on page 2 of the application. You may send these along with the PSU Graduate Admission Application if you want. If you are requesting a prerequisite waiver or course substitution, complete and mail the waiver form.
After submitting your application you will be able to track the review process through this site, so be sure to write down your username and password.
When the review process is completed, applicants are notified of their admission status by letter (typically, the letters go out six to eight weeks after the application deadline).
Applicants must begin the program in the term for which they are accepted.
Accepted students will be assessed a one-time matriculation fee if this is their first admission to a graduate program at PSU as of Fall 2009.