Graduate Certificate Admissions
The Addictions Counseling Graduate Certificate accepts applicants on an ongoing basis. The first course in the sequence is offered in fall and spring terms. Those that already have the foundations course completed can apply in any term. All applicants must be complete prior to review and selected candidates are invited to interview prior to offers of admission being made.
To be considered for admission, candidates must:
- Be a graduate of an accredited college or university (BA, BS, or BSW)
- For applicants with 0-11 credits of graduate work, must have a cumulative UG GPA of 2.75 or higher for regular admission. An applicant with 12 or more graduate credits must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Conditional admission is possible for those who do not meet these requirements
- Have three years of experience in the human service area or strong academic credentials
- If in recovery, have at least two years of sobriety
- Fulfill the requirements for graduate certificates at Portland State University
Application process for those applying to enter in winter 2016:
- Online Application: Create an account and complete the PSU application for graduate admission and submit the $65 application fee. Note: Only one application is needed to apply to both this program choice and PSU.
- Unofficial transcripts are required for all institutions attended as part of the application process. Please upload copies of your unofficial transcripts into the appropriate section of the online application. Please review what constitutes an unofficial transcript.
- Note: Once admitted, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to enrollment.
- Former PSU students do not need to submit transcripts that are already on file. Please use the PSU Transcript Request Form to notify the admissions team to pull your previous records. You will need to upload this completed form in lieu of uploading unofficial transcripts.
Students already admitted to a master's or doctoral program at Portland State University and currently registered for coursework
- Use the GO-19M or the GO-19D form to request addition of the graduate certificate program
- Provide a personal statement detailing professional experience and/or academic qualifications, and outlining how the addictions graduate certificate aligns with professional goals
PSU charges a one-time Matriculation Fee (charged on the first graduate admissions) for all new and transfer graduate students.