Reducing the Trauma to Children - Training
Children’s Justice Act: Reducing the Trauma To Children during Child Abuse Investigations, Removal and Out-of-Home Placement
Training Curriculum – Reducing the Trauma of Investigation, Removal and Out-of-Home Placement in Child Abuse Cases (adaptable to various audiences)
This 3 hour curriculum includes training modules with the following:
- Basic information about trauma in general, the trauma of investigation, removal and placement, and the effects of trauma on children that provides a common foundation across all disciplines or systems.
- Components that can be customized utilizing different handouts and written material to educate participants from various different professions about strategies they can utilize to minimize further trauma to children during investigation, removal and placement.
- Biology of Trauma
- Helping Traumatized Children
- Impact on Functioning TS
- Sensory Tools TS
- Special Consideration for Parents, Caretakers, and Teachers
- Study Team A
- Study Team B
- Study Team C
- Tips for Caseworkers
- Tips for Educators
- Tips for Foster Parents
- Tips for Law Enforcement
- Tips for Medical Examiners
- Tips for Parents
- Trauma at Different Ages
- Trauma of Initial Placement
- Trauma of Investigation
- Trauma of Removal
Note:Power point slides were not converted to pdf because there is a slide that includes an animated picture that doesn’t work in the pdf version.
NOTE: For information about ongoing training and presentations on this topic for caseworkers and foster/adoptive parents please contact Linda Bello and Sandra McIlhenny at the Child Welfare Partnership, Salem Office.
· Linda Bello, Child Welfare Trainer; (503) 315-4271, email@example.com
· Sandra McIlhenny, Foster Adoptive and Relative Parent Trainer; (503) 365-4694, firstname.lastname@example.org
Video of Stories of Removal
Three parents and a foster youth tell their stories of children’s removal and placement along with highlights of what was done that was helpful in reducing trauma and suggestions for what might have been done differently in their cases to reduce trauma. The video is arranged so that one or more short sections may be selected for trainings or presentations.
Individual Personal Stories
Story Excerpts by Topic
- Removal [MOV]
- Entering Foster Care [MOV]
- Suggestions to Reduce Trauma [MOV]
- Protective Factors [MOV]
- Message for Teachers [MOV]