Eligibility for Summer Program
- You must be a US citizen or possess a Green Card;
- You must be a current undergraduate student attending classes at either a college/university or a community college;
- Graduating seniors are eligible only if they have been accepted to graduate school and are commited to attending in the fall;
- This research opportunity cannot be combined with any other offers or positions;
- You must be covered by a health insurance policy throughout the length of the program;
- You must be available to work in your assigned lab for the full eight-week session from 9:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. and attend weekly seminars on Monday evenings from 5:30-7:30p.m;
- Deadline for Summer 2014 Applications: Tuesday, April 1st.
- Acceptance Notification: Applicants who have been accepted will be notified by email. A list of participating students will be posted to the LinkedIn Group Page once all offers have been accepted.
- Program Dates: Monday, June 30 - Monday, Sept. 8th.
Before you apply
- In addition to some contact and demographic information, you will be asked to answer the following essay prompts. You may find it convient to answer these question ahead of time- using a word processor- and copy your response into the space provided.
- Briefly describe why you are a good candidate to participate in our research experience program. Include any instrumentation skills and course work that might be relevant to your application.
- Please describe your reasons for wanting to participate in Portland State University's CCAR Research Experience for Undergraduates program.
- You will also be asked to upload in .pdf format a cover letter, resume/CV and your unofficial college transcript. Please collect these materials prior to starting the application (convert documents to .pdf using PDFcreator)
- Lastly you will be asked to provide contact information (name and email address) for two academic professionals who can provide recommendations for you. Recommenders will be contacted for their recommendation after you have submitted your application. Please notify recommedenders to check their email inboxes; their recommendations are due by April 15, 2014.
When writing your Cover Letter, please include your reasons for applying to this REU site. Although it is not required, if there is a specific interest into one of the fields of research conducted by CCAR faculty (www.pdx.edu/ccar) please indicate which and why. Please indicate why you are a good candidate for this position: e.g. study and work habits, experience with instrumentation or in measuring or in modeling. Are there any additional skills that will help you succeed in a scientific environment?