What Can I do With a Degree in Black Studies?
Quick Links for this page:
- Places of Employment
- Advising & Career Services' Resources
- Vocational Biographies
- Professional Associations
- Internet Sites with Job Search Information for Black Studies Majors
Black studies majors develop skills that are highly valued by employers. These skills include: research, analysis, writing, critical thinking, oral presentation, & problem solving skills. Students and alumni may find employment in government agencies, nonprofits, educational institutions, and businesses depending on their skills and experience. Internships or relevant part-time jobs may be a prerequisite to finding employment.
Advising & Career Services has a variety of resources to help students explore potential career fields. These resources include information about typical responsibilities, qualifications, career paths, job outlook, salary, and related careers.
- Careers for Good Samaritans & Other Humanitarian Types
- 100 Jobs in Social Change
- Real People Working in the Helping Professions
- Real People Working in Education
- Great Jobs for Liberal Arts Majors
- The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
- Making a Living While Making a Difference
Vocational Biographies describes the career success stories of 1001 real people. Search by career title, keyword, topic, and career cluster. Username: Portland su and pass code: 3w9n
- Social Service Program Coordinator
- Relocation Specialist
- Family Support Officer
- Social Worker
- Community Health Educator
- Camp Director
- African Studies Association
- Association of Black Women Historians
- Association for the Study of African American Life and History
- H-Afro-Am African-American Studies
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- National Association for African American Studies
- National Association for Ethnic Studies (NAES)
- National Council for Black Studies
- National Urban League
- African and African-American Studies — Lists potential job titles. From the University Career and Employment Services at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas.
- Career Opportunities for Majors in African Studies — From Career Services, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey. Lists related occupations and types of employers.
Department of Black Studies - Portland State University