Student Leaders for Service (SLS) is designed to intentionally build students' leadership capacity and civic engagement skills by serving and learning with non-profit and community organizations in the Portland metropolitan region. SLS members serve as a key link between the university and the community, making manifest PSU's mission: Let Knowledge Serve the City.
- SLS members act as volunteer coordinators for nonprofit and community organizations in the tri-county area by recruiting PSU students, faculty, and staff to engage in volunteer service.
- Members serve five to ten hours per week at a community-based organization for an entire academic year, acting as quasi-staff members at the organization.
- Members work with university faculty to help students in community-based learning courses reflect on service-curricular connections and on their roles as democratically involved citizens.
- Members assist faculty, staff, and students in finding service opportunities, planning service events, and other aspects of integrating community-based learning into course curricula.
- Members plan and lead special service day activities on no fewer than three nationally recognized days of service, such as Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and Earth Day.
- Members network with area colleges and universities to plan joint service community initiatives, workshops, and trainings for students and community-based partners.
- Members collaborate with the university administration as advisors to the Community-University Partnerships office which supports service and other campus-wide, community-based learning, and civic engagement initiatives.
- Members promote the importance of diversity, civic engagement, and community-based learning in creating a well-rounded, informed, and empathetic body of student citizens.
Learn more about past work at our SLS community partner sites.
If you have any additional questions call Jessica Conley at 503-725-8132 or email email@example.com.
The Student Leaders for Service office is on the mezannine of Smith Student Union (Room M113C). Feel free to stop by, call us at (503) 725 8132, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jessica Conley, Program Coordinator: email@example.com or (503) 725-8132
Stephanie Sasse, Team Lead: firstname.lastname@example.org
Will Wright, Team Lead: email@example.com