The PSU Business Outreach Program's mission is to help local small businesses, including emerging, minority and women-owned businesses, achieve their potential while providing students with opportunities for community based learning.
Nearly 80% of small businesses in Portland have 10 employees or less. The State of Oregon has 300,000 qualified "microenterprises" comprised of fewer than five employees. That's 86% of all registered businesses, employing 16% of the entire workforce, according to the US Department of Commerce.
Since 1994 the Business Outreach Program efforts include:
- Over 900 companies supported
- Over 1,650 students placed as consultants
- One million dollars of student consulting services provided (based on $3,000 per project)
- During the past year the BOP has served over 200 businesses.
News and Awards
- Recent News
- School of Business Administration 2011 Fall Newsletter
- 2009 Portland State University Departmental Civic Engagement Award
More information about the award can be found here.
- The Vanguard - February 5, 2009
- The Oregonian - September 23, 2008
- Portland State Magazine - Winter 2007