Institute for Asian Studies Scholarship
The Institute for Asian Studies Student Scholarship is a competitive award of up to $2000 split between one to two qualified, full-time, degree seeking, PSU students, who are pursuing an academic program at Portland State, or abroad, with a focus on Asia and/or Asian language studies, with selection priority given to students who are under-represented college students admitted to a PSU approved study abroad program in an Asian country.
Up to $2,000 split between one to two qualified PSU students will be awarded for the 2016-17 academic year, beginning summer or fall 2016. Award amount will depend on the length of the study program, location, budget, and other support.
Friday, April 15, 2016 at 5:00 PM , for awards to be granted summer or fall 2016. (see submission details below),
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
Eligible candidates must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
- Be full-time enrolled or accepted for full-time enrollment at Portland State University, as a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student;
- Be pursuing an academic program at PSU, or abroad, with a focus on Asia and/or Asian language studies1.
Selection priority will be given to:
- under-represented student(s)2,
- student(s) admitted to a PSU approved study abroad program in an Asian country1,
- student(s) who are a first-time visitor to the desired study-abroad country.
1 Students with an interest in Japan or Japanese language studies or who will study abroad to Japan are encouraged to apply for the scholarship offered by Center for Japanese Studies.
2Under-represented students include, but are not limited to: economically disadvantaged students, first-generation college students (neither parent has a four-year college degree from any country), students with disabilities and/or ethnic and racially diverse students.
Students who are awarded the scholarship are required to share their experiences and lessons learned with other students through presentations, mentoring, and/or publications, including contributing to promotional materials through the PSU Institute for Asian Studies. If selected for this scholarship, applicants authorize release of information for publicity purposes.
Required Application Materials:
- A completed & signed Application Form
- A personal statement/statement of purpose (maximum 500 words) that:
- Elaborates on any special circumstances relevant to the selection criteria of this scholarship;
- Describes any extenuating circumstances or challenges you have experienced related to access to education, study abroad opportunities, or achieving your educational or career goals;
- Describes your objectives for pursuing Asia-related studies, Asian language studies, and/or a study abroad program in Asia. In other words, how does this this scholarship and your academic focus on Asia, Asian language, and/or study abroad in Asia relate to and complement your academic, career or personal goals?
- Confirmation of your enrollment in, or acceptance to, your proposed course of study or study abroad program. This can include a print-out of your course registration for the up-coming term or letter of program acceptance. If you haven’t been accepted yet to a study abroad program, please submit a brochure or print-out of the program description.
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Two Letters of Recommendation (at least one letter must be from a professor or academic advisor; letters of recommendation can be sent directly to email@example.com)
- A Detailed Budget Worksheet of your anticipated expenses and any sources of funding you have already secured;
- A Statement of Financial Need (maximum 250 words)
READ the Terms of this Scholarship and SUBMIT all required application materials to:
PSU Institute for Asian Studies
Attn: Asian Studies Scholarship
Office: East Hall room 101, 632 SW Hall Street, Portland State University
(on the corner of SW Hall & SW Broadway)
Or by E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or via regular mail to:
Institute for Asian Studies
Attn: Asian Studies Scholarship
Portland State University
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207
Deadline: 5:00 PM, Friday, April 15, 2016
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all materials including letters of recommendation, are received by the Institute for Asian Studies by the application deadline. Only complete applications from students who meet the scholarship eligibility criteria will be accepted.
Scholarship awards are determined by the PSU Asian Studies Scholarship Committee chaired by the Director of the Institute for Asian Studies.
By signing page 2 of the PSU Asian Studies Scholarship Application Form, applicants certify
- that they have read and understand the Terms of this Scholarship;
- that their application documents are complete and true;
- that they authorize Portland State University to furnish copies of their academic record, their Asian Studies Scholarship application documents and letters of recommendation to the PSU Asian Studies Scholarship Selection Committee for review and consideration.
- And that if selected for a scholarship the applicants authorize release of information for publicity purposes.
Notice of Award(s) will be made in mid May 2016. Awards Scholarship funds will be applied to student's PSU Banner account during the term of the awarded study program.
Important Scholarship Documents
- Terms of this Scholarship >>
- Application check-list >>
- Application Form >>
- Detailed Scholarship Budget Worksheet >>
This scholarship is made possible through the generousity of PSU scholarship supportors and Friends of PSU's Institute for Asian Studies.
Learn more about how to contribute to this scholarship fund at http://www.pdx.edu/asian-studies/giving-opportunities .