Flu Season and Vaccinations
According to McLean Robbins in a recent article titled “Vaccinate to reduce health costs” published by Employee Benefit News (EBN), “Patients with chronic conditions, such as diabetes, heart failure and asthma are able to reduce instances of hospitalization by obtaining influenza vaccinations.” Robbins quoted a recent study by CVS Caremark, citing “patients who received the influenza vaccine reduced their total hospitalizations by 19% and had a 24% reduction in influenza or pneumonia-related hospitalizations.”
In addition, we recently received some suggestions on how to avoid the spread of influenza that included the following tips. Please share these with staff at your next department meeting.
- Get a flu shot – This is the first line of defense in preventing the flu. Although the PSU flu shot clinics are over, the flu shot vaccination is still offered through your doctor’s office or in many retail outlets
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Use a tissue or your sleeve as a shield when touching door handles.
- Disinfect your work surfaces with workplace friendly products
- If you have the flu, don’t risk infecting your co-workers.
October was a busy month including both a Benefits Fair for employees and the annual open enrollment that provides employees with a chance to make changes to their benefits. We received many positive comments about our Benefits Fair and are happy to have offered it in 2008. In addition, you may be interested in knowing that we have added a “Total Compensation Calculator” to our website. This calculates the value of your benefits relative to your compensation for our 12 and 9-month unclassified staff. Check it out.
Your PSU Benefits team works hard to bring you as much information as we can regarding employee benefits, wellness opportunities, and to connect you with the expert vendors who provide service when you have benefit claims or decide to retire. We regularly provide a presentation to new employees as part of the HR Briefings and will visit departments for staff meetings to share information on family medical leave policies and/or other benefit topic areas. If you’re interested, please contact Karen Garrison at email@example.com