The Portland State University Alumni Association Advocates (PSUAA Advocates) is a network of alumni, students, faculty, parents and friends who share a commitment to higher education and to Portland State University. Volunteers work to communicate and promote the goals, needs, accomplishments and the importance of supporting an outstanding teaching and research institution in Portland.
The PSU Advocates have supported PSU and higher education since 1989. This network, guided by an all-volunteer committee, contacts legislators, writes letters to the editor, attends town hall meetings and other meetings with community leaders and elected officials, and works with other PSU groups to sponsor lobby days and rallies.
PSU Advocates speak out for the university in many ways, throughout Oregon and in the nation’s capital. You can tell the PSU story and advocate on behalf of the university and higher education by volunteering. Your effort helps to ensure a strong partnership between the university, policymakers and community leaders who are so important to the university’s long-term success.
The PSUAA Advocates works in conjunction with Portland State University Office of Government Relations to administer the program.
Advocate benefits include:
- Periodic orientations for new and continuing members, to keep you up-to-date on PSU news and initiatives.
- Advocacy training sessions, which give you the tools you need to engage policymakers in meaningful discussion and effectively deliver the PSU message.
- Advocacy opportunities throughout the year — everything from calling or e-mailing elected officials, writing letters to the editor, attending town hall meetings, participating in office visits to legislative offices in Salem, and attending our advocacy days in the State Capitol.
- News about special events.
- PSU’s Public and Government Affairs newsletter sent directly to your email.
|Find your legislator here!|
|Key goverment and PSU contact information|
|How to be a great PSU Advocate: Lobbying 101|
|Government Speak: Glossary of legislative terms|
READ: PSU's Economic Impact
|READ: PSU ADVOCATES MAKING A DIFFERENCE (Advocates_History.pdf)|
Our alumni and friends really do make a difference in how PSU prospers in Oregon, nationally, and internationally. If you have additions questions, contact Al Fitzpatrick at email@example.com or Tom Bull at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about becoming a PSU Advocate.