Search Google Appliance

International Transfer Student

PSU welcomes over 2000 international students from over 100 countries! We have many services and support systems in place to help you succeed and enjoy your experience here.

As an international student, you might be transferring from either an institution in another country or from a college or university in the US.

Transferring from another country

PSU will consider transfer of credit for most college level work taken at a college or university recognized as an institution of higher education by the Ministry of Education in the respective country. The PSU office of Admissions will convert your earned credit to the equivalent number of credits in our quarter credit system. PSU considers 45 quarter hours equivalent to one academic year. Upon admission you will receive an evaluation of your transfer credit.

Transferring from a college or university in the US

If you are transferring from a college or university in the US the same transfer rules will apply to you as to any other applicant. You may review the Basic Transfer Rules.

If you are transferring credits from an Oregon university or an Oregon or Southwest Washington community college, you can see how credits will transfer even before applying for admission. The Transferology Course Equivalency System allows you to create an unofficial degree audit for yourself, or to simply look at lists of credits and how they transfer. If you are admitted to PSU, you will receive an official evaluation of all of your transfer credits.

Transfer Agreements

In order to assist international students to complete their bachelor's degree, Portland State University has developed agreements with the following colleges to create a smooth transition for international students transferring to Portland State.


  • San Mateo Community College District


  • Chemeketa CC
  • Portland Community College


  • Bellevue College
  • Clark College
  • Everett Community College
  • Tacoma Community College


  • North Island College - British Columbia