English Language Proficiency Requirements: Postbaccalaureate
International Postbaccalaureate Applicants
To be fully admitted and eligible to enroll in academic classes, you must submit proof of English language proficiency. Although Portland State University offers conditional admission to applicants who have not submitted proof of English language proficiency, enrollment is restricted to English as a Second Language (ESL) courses until you submit valid proof of English language proficiency.
Valid Proof of English Language Proficiency
- Minimum required official score, achieved within the last two years, on the International Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Portland State Institutional TOEFL, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam, or the Pearson Test of English-Academic (PTE);
- Test score more than two years old if the score exceeded the minimum requirement and you have maintained continuous residency in the United States since the exam date;
- Successful completion of the ESL program at Portland State and release from the ESL coordinator; or
- Completion of a bachelor's degree, master's degree or doctoral degree in Australia, English-speaking Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand or the U.S.
Minimum Test Score Requirements
|ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL TERMS THROUGH SUMMER 2011|
|527||197||minimum per section:
minimum 6.0 on reading & writing
|ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL TERMS FALL 2011 AND BEYOND|
|527||197||minimum overall score of 71: minimum subscore of 15 in reading & writing||6.0 overall;
minimum 6.0 on reading & writing
Invalid Proof of English Language Proficiency
- Test score less than Portland State's minimum requirement;
- Test score more than two years old (unless you have lived in the United States since the exam date);
- Institutional TOEFL score from any school except Portland State;
- Completion of an ESL program at any school except Portland State;
- Successful completion of English, Writing, or Literature classes; or
- A diploma from a U.S. high school.
If you have not met Portland State University's English Language Proficiency Requirement, your enrollment will be restricted to English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. No exceptions!
Portland State Institutional TOEFL
Applicants to Portland State may take an Institutional TOEFL on campus. The Portland State Institutional TOEFL is offered on campus several times each year:
- one week prior to the beginning of fall term; and
- midway through fall, winter, and spring terms.
Contact the Office of Admissions for exact test dates and registration information.
Scores from the International TOEFL are valid worldwide. Visit the TOEFL web site (www.toefl.org) for information about testing and ordering score reports. When ordering test score reports, please use Portland State's institutional code: 4610.
Intensive English Language Program
If you seek English language training only and do not wish to pursue academic study, you may apply for admission to the Intensive English Language Program (IELP). The IELP offers non-credit classes only. To be eligible to apply, you must have earned the equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma.
For further information, please contact
- International Admissions about the English Language Proficiency Requirement: 503-725-3511 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Westby in the Intensive English Language Program about applying to IELP and about ESL class registration: 503-725-4088 or email@example.com
- Testing Services about the Portland State Institutional TOEFL exam: 800-547-8887, extension 4428 (toll free in the United States) or 503-725-4428, or firstname.lastname@example.org