Special Salary Increase Request
Special salary increases are non-contractual and may be awarded at the full discretion of Portland State University. PSU will consider special salary increase awards for employees as follows:
Special salary increases may be awarded to employees for the following reasons: Internal equity, expanded duties (does not warrant a reclass), exceptional performance, and/or retention. Prior to completing the formal request documents the requesting supervisor should first determine if funding exists and secure general executive support for the request.
Special Salary Increase Form:
Step-by-step Signature Routing:
1. A special salary increase request should not be promised nor discussed with the employee until fully approved.
2. A special salary increase will not be processed retroactively.
3. A special salary increase will be effective on the first day of the month following full approval as indicated by all required signatures. Please allow three weeks for processing and position equity analysis once completed forms and attached documentation are submitted for consideration by the Compensation/Classification Manager.
4. The request must be submitted by completing the Special Salary Increase Request form and accompanied by required supporting documentation.
5. Special salary increases may not be given more than once every 2 years. Exceptions can be made for documented extraordinary circumstances.
6. Classified requests shall be limited to one step.
PROCESS and APPROVALS:
1. The request form should be initiated at the department level and signed by the supervisor. If the funding source is a sponsored project, then the Principal Investigator (PI) approval is also required.
2. Once the request is signed by the department head (chair/equivalent), it should be forwarded to the relevant VP/Dean’s Chief Fiscal Officer.
3. The relevant VP/Dean’s Chief Fiscal Officer will coordinate with the Human Resources Compensation/ Classification Manager, who will review the position description and salary proposal for position placement and pay equity within existing compensation/classification structures, and coordinate to resolve concerns about equitable position placement, representation, and proposed increase rates. The Compensation/Classification Manager will initial the request when completed.
4. The relevant VP/Dean’s Chief Fiscal Officer will sign the request, authorizing continuance of the process. It is then forwarded to the University Budget Office (FADM).
5. The University Budget Office (FADM) will review available funding. The department must fund the full ongoing cost of the salary increase.
6. Once the University Budget Office signs the request, it will be routed to the relevant Vice President or equivalent for final approval, authorizing the salary increase.
7. Exceptional requests will be routed to the President for signature.
Address questions about this process to your area’s relevant VP’s Chief Fiscal Officer or to the Human Resources Compensation/Classification Manager.