Search Google Appliance

Distance Education Complaint Process

Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act includes regulations regarding the delivery of distance education to out-of-state residents. The United States Department of Education (USDOE) requires that institutions comply with any applicable state approval or licensure requirements in each state to which distance education instruction is delivered. Institutions must provide current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting body and the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in a student’s state.

PSU accreditation

Portland State University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), an independent non-profit regional accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education. PSU is authorized by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education to offer degrees and certificates in on-campus and distance education programs.

You may file a complaint with PSU's regional accrediting agency, NWCCU (Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities). Information regarding its complaint process can be found on the NWCCU website.

Complaint resolution

Portland State University desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an efficient, fair and amicable manner. Complaints regarding any aspect of Portland State University operations should be filed internally to Portland State University authorities first. Contact information for filing complaints internally is provided below:

  • Admissions Issues (admissions eligibility and process, residency decisions): Contact the office of Admissions at 503.725.3511 or 
  • Registration & Records Issues (registration, petition processes, records and transcript issues, degree requirements, and veteran's services): Contact Registration & Records at 503.725.3511 or 
  • Money Matters (billing, tuition/fee payments); Contact the Business Affairs Office at 503.725.3440 or 
  • Financial Aid Issues (loans, scholarships, grants): Contact Financial Aid at 503.725.3461 or 
  • Student Concerns (ADA, Student Conduct, Well being, Where to Start): Contact the Dean of Student Life at 503.725.4422 or 
  • Instructional Issues (grading, instructor issues): Contact the chair of your instructor's department. Select the department homepage from the one of the following lists to find contact information: or

However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with your State. The Student Complaint Information by State and Agency (pdf) provides links to and/or information about the Complaint Process for each state education agency. Federal regulations require us to provide prospective and current students with contact information for filing complaints with the appropriate agency in the state where the student resides. Please click on your state to be connected to the contact form should you have a complaint about Portland State University:

Alabama - Alaska - Arizona - Arkansas - California - Colorado - Connecticut - Delaware - District of Columbia
Florida - Georgia - Hawaii - Idaho - Illinois - Indiana - Iowa - Kansas - Kentucky - Louisiana - Maine
Maryland - Massachusetts - Michigan -  - Minnesota - Mississippi - Missouri - Montana - Nebraska
Nevada - New Hampshire - New Jersey - New Mexico - New York - North Carolina - North Dakota
Ohio - Oklahoma - Oregon - Pennsylvania - Rhode Island - South Carolina - South Dakota
Tennessee - Texas - Utah - Vermont - Virginia - Washington - West Virginia - Wisconsin - Wyoming